Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sing, Shout, Sing

My entire life revolves around two places: Agnes Scott College and Camp Glisson. Both have long-running traditions of goofy singing paired with crazed dancing. I should investigate what this says about me- that I gravitate towards communities that enjoy being absolutely ridiculously out of control. Maybe it's nothing to over-analyze.

At Agnes, it's the Hub Sing which happens twice a year. 
Tonight's Hub Sing
We are a women's college. We have no shame. The majority of the upperclassmen are intoxicated. All of the alumnae are wasted. Yes, even the 75-year-old playing the piano. We sing plenty of politically incorrect songs that span the topics of death, prostitution, Noah's ark, and Black Cat. (Black Cat is another tradition I'll be writing about in a few weeks.)  I love that we've been able to reclaim so many depressing songs and turn them into a beloved tradition.
My favorite Hub Song is Running Bear, which ends with Running Bear and Little White Dove's inevitable deaths.

At Glisson, we have Singing on the Porch every evening after dinner, Amphitheatre every Sunday, and Celebration every Friday. We sing and dance often and with much gusto.
I stole this photo from the Glisson website.
The songs we sing at Glisson are equally goofy, but topics are rated G, including: Jesus, Moses, grace, forgiveness, jet planes, country roads, and the Boogaloo. No one is drunk, and children are hootin' and hollerin' along with us.

I don't want to pick favorites, but of course camp is more fun. I'd much prefer a button that instead says, "Ballin' on the Lord's side."

No comments:

Post a Comment