Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wait- I go to school?

I distinctly remember four years ago the thought crawling though my high school head, "I'm a junior now? Wowie zowie, I'm old!" 

Now classes have started up and I'm thinking the exact thought once again, but I'm hardly the same "old" person. The summer was a dream- doing what I love most, surrounded by the people I love most. Then two weeks of living at Agnes without classes was an adventure. I was so consumed with preparing for the class of 2015 to arrive that today hit me like a ton of bricks. Classes? Me? Homework? Moi? Nevertheless, I survived the day, rejoiced, and was glad in it.

Here's to hoping that the rest of the semester will be much like today– I didn't wear a special outfit or wake up extra early or eat a fancy breakfast because I already know all my professors and classmates. No one left to impress. I spent a good deal of time in the library, a great bit of time in the Math Learning Center, and a fun snippet of time with my Bible Study pals. All good, all learning, no stress. A beautiful time to grow. 
 


Story from today:
A typical Abstract Algebra textbook is expensive. So my kind and generous professor wrote his own text book for us. 151 pages to print, 351 homework problems assigned. So I went to the library to use the double-sided printers and asked the librarian which print station would be best to use and I explained my 151-page predicament. She didn't quite understand that my professor wrote the book himself and asked us to print it out because she started explaining to me copyright laws and that I can't print out a book. I smiled and thanked her, printed at the busiest print station, monopolized the three-hole-punch, and walked out carrying my freshly printed algebra book. She was startled.
The finished product: not your typical text book.

No comments:

Post a Comment